Friday, September 11, 2009

Gagne Creative Communications

Suddenly unemployed, I faced another crossroad. I had been toying with the idea of heading overseas to visit a friend who worked with the Canadian foreign service, and called her to look at some dates. Before I knew it, I was putting things in storage, selling my car, and headed to Germany with no firm plans to return.

I spent the next three months in Germany licking my wounds and indulging in glorious day and weekend trips, and subsequently ended up in England where I helped promote, renovate and run a small bed-and-breakfast in Canterbury. As a recent tourist and rabid fan of the little university town, I got to know it in some ways better than my new local friends - so I was an excellent hostess, knowing all the best tours and where to take the best pictures. I had free room and board, along with a little PR work to keep my hand in.

Alas, six months after leaving home, my travel visa required me to return to Ottawa. Looking through the classifieds, I saw a tiny ad for a PR person for a local charity. The salary was pitiable – but I realized I could likely help them on a contract basis for a fraction of those salary dollars. Pitching the idea to the GM, I landed my first client, and my consultancy was born.

I will always cherish the freedom self-employment gave me. I never set a meeting time before 9, and controlled when and how I spent my days. The financial advantages continue to enrich my life – and I give much credit to my father, who told me early on: “remember to spend your before-tax dollars on the things that you need – you only pay tax on what’s left over!”

No comments: