Thursday, May 18, 2006

the Service Canada story

I am a lucky, lucky public servant.
I'm lucky, because I have the chance to run with a very exciting project -- a welcome respite, after almost three years of hurry-up-and-wait, spent in four different branches. It's been like that for awhile now throughout government, really -- nothing personal.

But for now, I've got a project. It's got a tight deadline, and involves all the great stuff: travel, new people, new objectives, and new opportunities.
I'm lucky, because it's a great project. It's going to make a lot of our tasks easier and cheaper to do for the entire team over the coming year, and it's got all the things I love to do: video production, reporting, travelling, networking, and doing great PR work.

I'm a PR practitioner. It's not hard to see why I would so whole-heartedly believe in the Service Canada vision. And for this project, I'm going to go out and capture stories from across the country, showing just a sampling of our over 22,000 fellow employees at their best, demonstrating that the vision is the right one. From where I'm sitting right now, it's an exciting time to be a fed.

And I am lucky because I am working with smart, capable people. I get to meet a bunch of like-minded people, share an exciting race to a very tight deadline, and when it all comes off, I'll make some important steps forward in my career goals.

I'm jazzed.

I'll be posting regularly from the road. I expect that I will learn about much more than just how well Service Canada is working...

No comments: