Thursday, September 08, 2005

Not too cool to admit I loved it!

OK, I admit it: the Rolling Stones coming to my town was a big deal.
I've lived in Ottawa all my life, and have always really appreciated our "best of both worlds" quality -- mostly small and intimate, but with great culture and a zillion things to do.
But I never thought I'd see the day when the freakin' STONES would come to Ottawa. For the first three songs, I was still somewhat in a daze of amazement -- they're actually here, in our little football stadium. Because man, you know, they really are the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the world.

The Rolling Stones defined rock 'n roll for me as I was growing up. Charlie Watts defined what a rock drummer should do. Keef's riffs set the bar for guts and gusto. And I still say that Exile On Main Street was the best album of all time.

Now before you read the lineup, please know that I have even geekier friends in the communications business -- one of whom actually took the time to scribe the entire setlist down during the show. You can tease him about taking his Blackberry to the concert -- don't blame me! But as a true flack, I'm not ashamed to use his work for my own purposes. Thanks, Bill, for the following (some of the comments are mine).

8:40 - Pink Floyd style movie clip
1. Start Me Up (of course! I wonder if Microsoft is still paying them?)
2. You Got Me Rocking
Mick: "Last time we played here was at, uh, the YMCA..." !!!
3. Shattered (according to Bill, Mick replaces the line "Bedbugs uptown" with "Bedbugs in Hull" - I guess I was still pinching myself, 'cause I missed that!)
4. Tumblin' Dice: (Ronnie rips off the most awful, out of tune solo -- I'm thinking "there's a switch -- Keef's the straight guy tonight!")
5. Rough Justice (love the new single -- and Ronnie starts redeeming himself...)
6. Back of My Hand (Mick on slide guitar -- cool!)
7. Beast of Burden
8. She's So Cold
9. Night Time is the Right Time (a tribute to Ray Charles; Lisa Steele (sp-?) belts out vocals to make Gladys Knight pay attention)
10. The Worst (Keith; new country song -- jury's still out on this one)
11. Infamy (Keith, rocker - another winner!)
12. Miss You (we're watching, and the stage starts to lift up, and next thing you know, the whole thing is moving down the catwalk/track to the middle of the floor -- and no more than 20 metres away from us! Time to start pinching again!)
13. Oh No, Not You Again (another kickin' new one)
14. Satisfaction (Mick's headset mike malfunctions -- as buddy's sliding the new battery pack down the back of his trousers, you couldn't help but be reminded that Mick's still a sexy boy...)
15. Honky Tonk Woman (from B-stage, moves back to original spot)
16. Out of Control
17. Sympathy for the Devil (I thought he said they'd never play it again? Too cool to hear it performed live! Mick's likely into his third or fourth mile of running around the stage by now)
18. Jumpin' Jack Flash (Keith wanders out stage left for the first time)
19. Brown Sugar (band leaves the stage)
20. (10:30 p.m.) Encore: You Can't Always Get What You Want
21. It's Only Rock'n'Roll
10:45 Fireworks (I kid you not -- fireworks -- these guys brought the house down!)
Sound system: "I Shot the Sheriff" - The Wailers

No comments: