Monday, September 02, 2013

Breaking the Silence

The title of this post has two meanings: I'm breaking a long silence on my blog, and I'm also making a confession. The first relates to a very busy summer, and the second, to my post-Conversations2013 experience. Let me explain.

Preparing to host the CPRS National Conference was an 18-month journey for me and for the amazing team of volunteers who came along for the ride. I learned so much about myself and about working with a large group of volunteers. These are lessons that will only make me a better communicator and a better boss.

It also represented the best thing I think I've done in the last couple of decades. Yes, decades. That's how long it's been since I've felt a real sense of a job well done; a sense of personal satisfaction. And that is sad. Part of the reason for my silence "out here" has been because I've been unwilling to say anything negative about my work as a public servant. I'm a chicken-shit. There has been a lot to say, believe me. But we all have read the horror stories about people losing their jobs - or the support of their colleagues - because of something they've said in social media. So I shut up a lot.

The end result of this extended period of silence has been a general melancholy. I feel that I've lost traction in the digital world. I know my credibility as a user of social media is pretty much shot now. So what to do?

I'll start with my confession: I'm not going to talk about the public service. I have some personal heroes out there who are doing it for me. I'll work to try to change things from within, but I think, frankly, I'm just going to call this a "job" and focus on what really moves me: doing some PR for PR. 

So my volunteer gig will once again be my source of personal satisfaction. At the end of the day, as long as I can get it somewhere, I guess that's all that matters.

No comments: