Friday, October 28, 2011

I love my Facebook friends


You know the ones - you have them, too. You're lucky if you see each other in person once a year - - or ever. The ones who live in the same city might come out to the same functions once in a while, but where you really meet is on your Facebook Walls.

They are always there with just the right thing to say.

Once you learn the art of managing your privacy in a public space, Facebook can be a powerfully cathartic forum in which to talk your way through things. Moments. You know the kind: those Crazed Moments where your emotions are raging and you don't know what to make of the world. People can still completely surprise me, even after 50 years on the planet. In those moments where I'm completely off balance, I feel as though my world stops making sense.

But after those 50 years, and now with the additional support of my Facebook friends, I have learned the five rules of the Crazed Moment:
1) they drive me absolutely nuts.
2) they will pass.
3) they are opportunities for learning.
4) they are always creative and, ultimately, positive.
5) they are unavoidable - going around them is not an option. They just wait for their next chance to come out to play. We are meant to walk through them.

See, I like it when I think I understand how things are. When the rules change on me, I get very upset - and need time and space to walk through the moment to get to the "opportunity" part as quickly as possible. (And along the way, I get to remind myself of the Crazed Moment rules. Lately, I do tend to get tripped up by #1. I blame it on early menopause. :-)

Enter my Facebook friends. I post a message of exasperation. A sigh. A curse. A cry of outrage - not directed in any libelous way. But a cathartic outburst to the world. "A Message in a Bottle"".
And there's always one or two who will always come through with an encouraging word.

Thank you, Facebook friends. You know who you are.

No comments: