Thursday, August 27, 2009

1984: it all begins

1984 (spring): I was a new university graduate looking to do something with my BA in English and History. Although I had been accepted at Queen’s to enter their Bachelor of Education program, I wasn’t convinced it was my destiny to teach English to children. Meanwhile, I had been working with my father, a scientist at the National Research Council, since 1978, running a scientific association called the Canadian Industrial Computer Society (CICS). Using a very early personal computer, I had been editing their quarterly newsletter, managing the membership lists, and organizing workshops and conferences – and really enjoying the work of “translating” technical speak into plain language. So was I a writer, then? An office manager? Wait – what’s this thing called “PR” I keep hearing about??

1984 (summer): as I continued to ponder what to do with myself, I stumbled across a program on Rogers Cable which profiled various professionals across the region talking about what they did. I remember very clearly seeing an interview with Sandi Digras, who was speaking about her work as the director of “public relations” for the Chateau Laurier Hotel. As she spoke about the media relations, special events, and writing required in her job, a lightbulb went off for me: this is what I was meant to do! Now if only there were some place for me to go to get training… Eureka! The Ottawa Citizen tells me about the creation of a new program at Algonquin College – and I know I’ve found my destiny!

No comments: