Sunday, April 18, 2010

the other day I received an e-mail from my 88-year-old aunt Lorraine from Edmonton. My beloved aunt is a dauntingly bright woman who, in addition to being a practiced lawyer, is self-taught in a handful of languages and starts every day with University on the Air.
Since e-mail became available to us, we have written regularly, and often on the subject of my chosen profession -- one she, I firmly believe, still does not fully comprehend. I like to believe that it is because she wishes we didn't need PR people in the first place.

In her inimitable perfunctory style, she wrote:
subject: The Public Service
... is being re-tooled.
What is a wiki?
Love,
Y.A.A.
(Your Aged Aunt)


Today, I replied:
Since you asked, the "wiki" is a web-based collaboration tool which is, ostensibly, designed to allow us in the civil service to help with the "retooling".
I, as a matter of fact, am helping to design an employee-focused campaign to get people to "connect with our vision" and all that jazz.
you know, the stuff you hate.

but we are at a critical point where we can predict precipitous levels of retirements from the senior ranks, making it evermore important for us to focus on ensuring people with qualifications and experience like I have don't leave, but stay and tough it out.

Because it's tough.

There is no money or time for training - but we are insisting people be "excellent".
blah blah blah - you've heard me rant about the failings of the System.

What you are hearing in the media lately is the System actually going on record as saying they want to hear from us as they "retool" - by which they mean, figuring out how to do more with less.

A complex and intriguing challenge.

I will be happy to share more about the "collaborative process" if you are interested. You will have to keep in mind that it is a tremendous exercise in public relations - which should pose an interesting challenge for you. Something you likely loath - but it is my bread and butter, after all. I love the challenge involved in rallying a group of people around an idea. The more people, and the more complex the idea, the bigger the challenge. Never a dull moment in over 30 years...

At any rate, I'll look into the wiki more and get back to you with details, if you'd like to hear how it works.

happy Spring!
love
Lea

No comments: